Lake Union Boats Afloat Show Drops Anchor One Week from Today on Wednesday, September 12th
More than 180 yachts on display and fun for all the family – free sailboat rides for kids and adults, kids toy boat building, floating beer garden
SEATTLE, September 5, 2012 -- Seattle’s 34th annual Lake Union Boats Afloat Show gets underway on Wednesday September 12th at 11 am and continues through Sunday 16th, 2012. The annual show – with 180+ new and used boats or vessels from 20 to 90 feet – is recognized as the West Coast’s largest floating show. From sport boats to cabin cruisers to mega-yachts and everything in between, Boats Afloat has it all. The show is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
There’s also fun for all the family, including daily demonstrations of the amazing Flyboard, a watersports apparatus invented by jet ski racing champion, Franky Zapata. It lets users fly Iron Man style up to 35 feet in the air or swim like Aquaman underwater. The wearer straps his or her feet into shoes that are attached to powerful water jets, providing lift, with hand-guided nozzles stabilizing the flight. In addition to swimming like a dolphin users can do aerial tricks such as 360 degree spins and backward somersaults. Demonstrations will be held daily at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
[Assignment editors: Photos available and demos outside of show hours if necessary. Please contact Lisa Samuelson to arrange. Lisa@samuelsoncom.com or 206-954-2574]
Other attractions this year include:
- Free daily 45-minute sailboat rides on Lake Union on 30-40 foot boats through Discover Sailing.
- Free 90-minute sailing lessons for kids 8-16 on 13’ Hobie Cat Waves courtesy of Sail Sandpoint.
- Lessons will be available Saturday and Sunday at 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 5 pm.
- For further information go here (Sign-ups will be available at the show.)
- Center for Wooden Boats kids toy boat building Saturday and Sunday. Kids can use traditional tools to build and decorate their own wooden boat and see them float in the pond. Fun for all ages! Sponsored by Banner Bank
- O.A.R. Northwest. See Guinness World Record holding rowboat the James Robert Hanssen. Meet some of the crew that rowed in a race from New York to England In 2006 and won. Also meet some of the crew that was on the 2012 circumnavigation of Vancouver Island and will be rowing from Liberia to Venezuela in December
- Floating beer garden aboard a 68' authentic Paddle Wheeler, the Christine W. The beer garden will be pouring Redhook Wit and Widmer Drifter as well as Stonebridge wine and is sponsored by Chandler's Crabhouse Restaurant.
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
|What:||South Lake Union Boats Afloat Show|
|When:||Wednesday September 12th – Sunday September 16th, 2012|
|Hours:||Weekdays: 11 am to 7 pm
Weekends: 10 am to 6 pm
|Where:||South Lake Union in Seattle|
YOUTH (11-17): $5
KIDS 10 and under: Free
Special MULTI-DAY show pass: $18
Boater's Happy Hour Weekdays 5-7 pm: $6
e-Tickets can be purchased here
|Getting There:||To help navigate the Mercer construction, printable maps and vouchers for $5 parking at lots close to the show are available here|
|Media Contact:||firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-954-2574|
The 2012 Lake Union Boats Afloat Shop is presented by Sunbrella, the leader in performance fabrics. Visitors to the show can tour the Galatea, a sailboat made-over using all Sunbrella fabrics above and below deck.
Show photos available here ». Photos of individual boats are available upon request.
# # #